Sunday, June 05, 2011

Man macht und Gott Lacht - part two

So yes - I have not blogged much.  I've been absent from FaceBook (no bad thing) and have not commented much on your blogs (a bad thing - I'm sorry).  I don't know about you but in the weeks leading up to an A race, the rest of my life seems to go by the wayside.  The focus is on my race.  And then - when it's over - the rest of my life comes roaring back at me.  So that has some been some of what I've been doing.  Kids stuff, house stuff, admin stuff etc.  Workout-wise I have been on my bike as much as I can, and I find it SO much more time-consuming than running so even less time for blogging.  Enjoyable, but time-consuming. Expensive too!  In the past weeks I've invested in a new pair of bike shorts (needed more than one pair for a 3 day trip, after all), a waterproof jacket (found out on my one ride in the rain that the jacket I have is not waterproof), and various smaller bits which all seem to have added up. On the upside, I look very cool.

And then there's something I haven't really blogged much about because I kind of didn't want to think about it.  I told you I had a chest infection after Boston.  Something like that (an infection after exhaustion after a serious effort) was to be expected so I didn't really pay it much heed, took my antibiotics and got back to my life.  Over the past 5 weeks I had noticed that my runs were slow, that I was still coughing on my bike and on my runs, but I thought I was on the road to recovery.  However, this Friday I woke up in the night with a pounding headache and by Saturday morning I felt totally lousy again.  Last night my husband took me to the duty doctor at the hospital and yep - my chest infection is back, or never really went away really.  This time I have been put on more powerful antibiotics which I'm hopeful about as Adam, who has also been suffering has finally improved after being on these particular antibiotics and an inhaler.  So here I am - 4 days before I'm meant to set off on an endurance event (230 miles in 3 days) and I'm in bed feeling lousy.  Am I going to do it?  I don't know.  I'm going to see my own doctor tomorrow and get her advice on it but I do realise it's beginning to look unlikely.  Right now I can't even imagine getting on my bike, let alone riding it for hours for 3 days.  But on the other hand, it's an event I was looking forward to and, more importantly, it's a fundraising event for a cause I feel very strongly about and I am really unhappy about dropping out of it.  Right now, I guess, it's out of my control.  I'll have to see how much I pick up in the next few days.

For those of you who have already donated - thank you.  Regardless of whether I'm able to cycle the challenge, the money will be going directly to JDRF and will go towards finding a cure for diabetes.  For those of you who have not yet donated, it's not too late and, as of yesterday, my friend Martha's parents are matching the contributions made on either the UK or the US website.

No shocking insights to share with you this post other than listen to your body - don't end up doing what I've done and go out there too quickly after you've been ill. I very much hope that I will still be able to ride this week but even if I do, I will not be doing it with the fitness I would have liked.  So it goes.


Good luck to all of you out there who are racing in these next few weeks (or raced them yesterday, Jen and Amanda) and as I am now bed-ridden I hope to be able to catch up on your blogs. 

7 comments:

Fran said...

I hope for you you can do the event but if the doctor says no, listen. You say it yourself already that one has to listen to her body. But I do feel sorry for you if you can't make the ride.

And you're forgiven about less blogging. We all have those times. I've been cutting down my laptop time the past few weeks and like it. Means some blogs I read a few days later but that's okay, they don't walk away :)

Hope you will get better soon Petra.

Unknown said...

oh life always gets in the way, right? Especially when you are sick. I hope things clear up soon for you. Wait it out. You know whats best. If you end up doing the event, lay low. Ride easy, and enjoy. Take care friend.

Jill said...

Oh Man, girl, I am soooo sorry! Trust me, as one who's trained so hard and have those damn girl parts hurt like hell for all those weeks and having to let the ride go, it's disheartening (my ride today was an epic fail!). Yes, you can't control it but yes, you can be disappointed. I hope you are able to kick this thing quickly and get to do that darn ride, you so deserve to...I mean, you have all the cute attire now and ready to go!

Big hugs to you. Please rest up and fingers crossed and prayers sent your way!!

xo

Emily said...

I'm so sorry about the sickness, but you have to listen to your body and take care of yourself. There are plenty of opportunities like this ahead! I just made a donation to Martha's page - hope this is the right place and that you don't have a separate page too? Good luck w/the fundraising!!

Drusy said...

You are amazing Petra - such incredible drive! There's NO WAY I'd be considering an epic bike ride if I was sick. I'm amazed you're even considering it!

It is a good cause and you've already raised the money. Do it again (and really ride!) next year and you'll double it. Your do-over at Boston worked out for you...

Seriously, take care of yourself.

lizzie lee said...

Please, take care of the infection. You need healthy lungs... Besos across the Atlantic!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! So sorry your body hasn't recovered from the infection! I know it's been some time since you posted, but I'm still sending you some healing vibes over the Internet. Please take good care. *hug*