Friday, October 03, 2008

Stress, preparation and Stan...

Oh come on now! You know 3 posts in a few days was just a fluke! I was never going to keep up that kind of pace was I?

Life has been STRESSFUL! Well - not life - but work. Very stressful. Pressure, deadlines, working into the evening, work creeping into family life, work creeping into all aspects of life. Really not what I had in mind when I started working at this job in November. Everyone said to me that part-time work is never really that. They were right.. It will happily creep into every aspect of my life. What to do about it though? Well as I see I have a number of options:
- learn to deal with the stress in a constructive way. HA! Easier said than done is alls I can say. Running helps but does not solve it. I know people who can work hard, be really engaged and then switch off. I know that I need to "put my stress in a box" and shelve it. I know that. I just don't know how to.
- make my boundaries much more apparent to my employers and colleagues. Yes another good one. Despite my general gobbiness (few of you actually know me but believe I talk the hind legs off the proverbial donkey) I am not enormously assertive about my boundaries and what I will not do. Saying "no" in other words. More to work on there..
- give it up. But I really don't want to. I really want to work this out, work this through, learn how to handle this job better.
So I'll be working on the 1st and 2nd points then...

Preparation. Race preparation. Travel preparation. Well what can I say - I'm ready! I went out for 4 in the dark (that happened quickly!) and I was chomping at the bit to burst free. However it's all about control now and keeping it IN the jar so I'm doing that. I'm doing 8 on Sunday and then it's really slowing down. Heading to Chicago Thursday morning via Humberside - Amsterdam - Detroit and then driving across town to stay with my friends. That should be fun - driving on my own on the other side of the road after a good 12 hours of traveling. You can see why I plumped for SatNav... And then Friday we've arranged to meet all the other amazing blogging buddies at the expo and we'll take it from there?

Stan. Is a spot. I never get spots. Didn't have acne as a teenager, don't spot over at my time of month - it just doesn't happen. But last week - probably due to all the stress (see above) I got a spot. And not just any old spot. This spot was gigantic! Enormous! No-one said to me "oh you wouldn't notice it was there" because that would be like ignoring a second head that was sprouting out of my face. This spot was of such epic proportions I really did feel it had a life of its own and therefore I named him Stan. Of course this was the week we had a big launch at work where I had to stand around covering my chin with my hand like a teenager and then I met a friend who I hadn't seen for 18 years (! the wonders of Facebook).. Anyway I'm not a very make-uppy kind of girl but this was a crisis so I went into a beauty shop and just pointed at my chin. The staff, again, didn't pretend there was nothing there but like EMTs rushing to an accident they whisked out all their magical stuff and by the time they were done I had a beauty spot. Not great - it kind of looked like a wart - but not as bad as Stan.

While there is still stress, Stan is shrinking, finally. I didn't take a picture - I just couldn't bear it. But take it from me - with one thing and another - I'm looking forward to getting on that plane next week and leaving everything behind for a few days.

BRING IT ON CHICAGO!

15 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, I cracked up when I read about Stan! Not to laugh at your misfortune but rather that you would name it. I'm sure only you thought it was that bad (who would notice such a thing on an Alicia Silverstone lookalike?).

And, wow, you are so brave to drive by yourself over here. I could never drive on the other side of the road over where you are. Have a safe trip!!!

Susan said...

Stan = Stress. For sure! Poor thing. I sympathize. I have been relatively blessed with no "spots," as you say. But when I DO get one - it is a Stan!

I am so so so excited for you and Chicago! I sent a little something-something to Melisa to deliver to you in the Windy City!

Road Warrior said...

You crack me up, Petra. I'm so bummed that I can't join you and the group in Chicago but I'm really excited to see you rock the marathon.

Remember, traffic circles start right in the US. What am I saying? We don't have those here!

Marathon Maritza said...

Haha, you are hysterical! I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you made it out to be.

I am so excited for you to be in Chicago! I wish I was going so I could hang out with you again!

Hang in there with work...just say 'no.'

jen said...

Omg, I love the Stan story!! I am sorry you went through that but I love your sense of humor. I have a population of mini-Stans in residence at all times so you're not alone. I am sure it is from the stress.

Good luck with your final race preparations, your travels, and then your race!! I am so excited for you. You're going to have a blast with your friends too. Happy travels!! :)

akshaye said...

Haha.. very funny on Stan!

Its hard to keep any one part of your life boxed up. The stress always spills over. Keep working on it.

Cant wait for your Chicago race!

MarathonChris said...

You will get the work thing figured out. I think you have the right attitude and approach! You can make it work, just like you get your marathon running to work.

I love the Stan story!

Have a great week and don't go crazy tapering to Chicago!

lizzie lee said...

Funny!!! I have never had Stans... I don't want them either...!!!!

One week to go!!!!! ENJOY and have a very safe trip.... I'll be there in Chicago VIRTUALLY!!!!!!!!!

lizzie lee said...

what is your facebook account?

CewTwo said...

I inspire people? The lady that spawned half a dozen 'Petra Runs! Half-Marathons?"

I have not learned to say no either. What I have learned to talk about is the number of projects that I am working on and the priority level of the job that they want done.
That generally brings home the point of time, availability & establishes a priority level that I can take to others.

I am so looking forward to meeting you so very soon. I am arriving at 1:44 PM, but would still need to check in then head dor the Expo!

Yay!

peter said...

Good luck at Chicago! Chicago is a fabulous town (take the river tour).

Aron said...

hi! just found you... good luck this weekend!!! cant wait to read your report :)

Aron said...

definitely :) i added you to my list of reads too!!

akshaye said...

Hey.. good luck for this weekend!

Irish Blue said...

LOL...I don't know how I missed this post. And BTW - never notice Stan in Chicago.

It was so great to get to meet you and spend time with you in Chicago. I had a great time at dinner. You are even warmer, funnier, and more charming in person.

BTW - did you get my post race text or any messages I sent? Sigh, apparently my phone was not working correctly while we were out of town as several friends tried to call and text me and I got nothing! Here I thought I was just unloved. ;-(

Psstt - keep this on the down low (American slang for don't blab your big mouth about it ;-) - I'm thinking of socking away a little money each week in a secret savings so I can fly over there and run London with you one of these days. Maybe not in 2009, but possibly 2010. Gives me plenty of time to save and beg Bill to let me come over and/or drag him along.

I'm so sore today I feel like I was hit by a truck! Still, I'm sitting here planning my next marathon. Apparently, some people try to avoid beatings and others keep goin' back for more. What the hell is wrong with us?

I hope you had a safe return. Take care and get some rest.