Monday, September 01, 2008

Things done - and not done...

Things I have not done:
  • posted a new blogpost. Not for 5 weeks. A record I'm not proud of.
  • posted comments on other people's blogs. Again. Not for 5 weeks. Again. A record I'm not proud of.
  • been in touch with lots of friends - in person and online. Something I'm really not proud of.
  • organised a t-shirt for my blogging buddies running the Chicago Marathon with me. Got halfway there (commissioned my barista for a design, which he delivered) but then did not get any further.
  • been online much for pleasure / fun / playing. We lost our internet connection at home for 10 days (will you believe this?!). I nearly started playing boardgames but see below - was working too hard for that..

Things I have done:
  • worked hard. Most of my failures above are due to a deadline at work which had me working very very long hours.
  • been on holiday. I came back last night from a lovely 2 week holiday with my husband and children to Rome and Tuscany.
  • drunk wine. See above.
  • eaten pasta. Also see above.
  • sat in the sun. We didn't know it worked but it does. Just not in the UK.
  • been warm. Even hot. Didn't remember that was possible. It is but just not in the UK.
  • bought various beautiful and expensive pieces of clothing and footwear. Blame wine and sun. And opportunity.
  • trained for Chicago. I missed a few of my shorter runs but so far have got most of the long runs in. Ran 17 2 weeks ago (reaching 13.2 in 2:08 which is good on a training run and with 1 minute walk breaks every mile, methinks).
  • Announced on Facebook that I was going to run 18 miles and then didn’t quite manage it. I was exhausted from travel I think.. Not great and it made me feel just a tad foolish…
  • bought 2 new pairs of running shoes. Very hardcore this. After Maddy’s recent experience with hip pain and Shirley Perly’s advice I decided I should do the same. A bit painful in the running shop but it shouldn’t cost more in the end. Right?

Things I am going to do:
  • get back in the saddle. Training has been going okay – I feel fine about it – but it hasn’t been at the forefront of my mind. With 6 weeks to go, Chicago is my focus. I’m not going to make up for this past week’s run but am getting properly into this week – my first of 2 20 milers.
  • Get back online and in touch. I’ll be there this week my friends, I promise.
  • Get this post posted. Enough already!

Keep on running my friends – I’m back on your roads with you now!

9 comments:

Road Warrior said...

It's just nice to see you back, Petra. We've been curious and it sounds like you're still on track. Chicago should be a blast for you!

MarathonChris said...

Don't be so hard on yourself for not being online. You have obviously had better things going on!!! We miss you but completely understand :-) Somethings have priority over blogging!

Glad you have been able to keep your training up even while on holiday!

Welcome back!

Maddy said...

So glad to see you are on track! Yesterday during my long run I realized that I have been training mentally for this race knowing that I would have you there with me!

Sometimes, things like the family, Rome, Tuscany and the sitting in the sun are more important that blogging. We have missed you. Glad you're back.

By the way, please join our bad girls vs. bad boys of running challenge on Runner+ details are on my blog.

Susan said...

Great to see you back online! I envy your travels. And your upcoming marathon!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing! I'm not sure whether it's good or not to bring devices along on vacations to stay in touch, though. There are times when I want to throw my husband's Blackberry into the ocean.

Glad to hear you're still running well. I hope you post some pictures of your trip!

Marathon Maritza said...

Petra, my long-lost friend! I am so jealous of your holiday (Rome is one of my favorite cities in the world! Did you eat lots of gelato??) and so happy that you are back!

Thank you for the recipe website, I had not seen it before! Delicious!

Welcome back to running and I agree with you, sometimes we just have to let some runs go and just move on and put our best foot forward.

Drusy said...

Have a great race in Chicago Petra! Admit it, buying new shoes was really great, you just needed us for permission to endulge.

Let's try to do a WWH training run sometime when you get back!

Unknown said...

I know the feeling about not posting, but you know what... It's OKAY! Really it is!

CewTwo said...

Ah Petra, don't be so hard on yourself! Friends understand! Life does (and should) get in the way.

Hang in there, with a positive attitude like yours, how can you fail?

Vacation pics coming soon?